Saturday 5 October 2013

Tyto Wetlands (Part 1)

I spent a fantastic weekend in Ingham with the BirdLife Photography group. This is my first time this far into North Queensland so it was a great introduction to the local birdlife with 4 new species for my lifetime list on the first morning at Tyto Wetlands :-)

Before we had even left the car park, I had my first lifer for the day

Pied Imperial Pigeon, Tyto Wetlands, Ingham Qld

The mown grass along the edge of the tracks proved to be a good location for several species including the gorgeous Peaceful Dove,

Peaceful Dove, Tyto Wetlands, Ingham Qld

while the branches of nearby shrubs provided perches for two more lifetime firsts.

Brown Honeyeater, Tyto Wetlands, Ingham Qld
Crimson Finch (male), Tyto Wetlands, Ingham Qld

The open water of the ponds didn't provide much in the way of birdlife but a solo Green Pygmy Goose cruised past, while I was searching the edges, albeit a long way away.

Green Pygmy Goose, Tyto Wetlands, Ingham Qld

The edges proved more fruitful with sightings of several Comb-crested Jacanas and my first ever White-browed Crake, which walked out of the reeds directly in front of me.

White-browed Crake, Tyto Wetlands, Ingham Qld

and a Yellow Honeyeater (lifer no. 4 for the morning) took a bath in the adjacent pond and perched precariously on a lily flower stem to shake itself dry.

Yellow Honeyeater, Tyto Wetlands, Ingham Qld

We saw several oriole nests along the tracks and finally came across one being tended by a pair of birds.

Olive-backed Oriole, Tyto Wetlands, Ingham Qld

As we arrived back at the car park at the visitor centre, a flock of Plumed Whistling-Ducks flew into a pond and I couldn't resist a few shots.

Plumed Whistling-Duck, Tyto Wetlands, Ingham Qld

... Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apologies for the inconvenience but I have had to turn on word verification to avoid spam (I was getting 10-20 a week)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Birding and Natural History Blogs - Australia

Birding Blogs - Worldwide