Saturday 21 June 2014

Kallista Cockies and Kookas

I stopped briefly at Grant's Picnic Ground (on the edge of the Dandenong Ranges National Park in Kallista) on the way home from Bunyip. This is a reliable place for lyrebirds and as it was late afternoon, I thought I'd see if I could find some males displaying. I heard at least three and managed to see one but it was too far away for any photography. Great just to see him though.

Grants Picnic Ground is also on a main tourist bus route and there's a bird feeding area where Sulphur-crested Cockatooos hang out waiting for a free feed (free for the birds, that is; the tourists buy food from the gift shop).

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Grant's Picnic Ground, Kallista

I'm a little ambivalent about this sort of "attraction". I am all for giving tourists close-up experiences with wildlife but not a fan of feeding wildlife. However, it does give photographers a chance to get close to these beautiful birds...

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Grants Picnic Ground, Kallista

...seriously close (this was shot with a 70-200mm lens).

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Grants Picnic Ground, Kallista

It was nearly dark by the time I got back from the lyrebird exploration so when I spotted this Laughing Kookaburra on the entry sign, the only option was to use flash.

Laughing Kookaburra
Grants Picnic Ground, Kallista

2 comments:

  1. Great set of pictures - and a nice part of the world as well!!

    Sorry for slow reply - hectic weeks!

    Cheers - Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart
      Yes, I love Kallista - lived there for 10 years and miss the forest.
      Cheers, Ian

      Delete

Apologies for the inconvenience but I have had to turn on word verification to avoid spam (I was getting 10-20 a week)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Birding and Natural History Blogs - Australia

Birding Blogs - Worldwide